Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Gleanings From a Trip To Lowe's - 3

OMG, is she STILL droning on about that stupid trip to Lowe’s and the Concordant Version of the Psalms???!!!

Just one more. For now anyway.

I have to say that I think it is totally cool how reading a verse in an unfamiliar translation peels another layer off the onion of spiritual understanding…brings out yet another facet of the scriptural diamond. Just three Psalms from the Concordant Version brought all kinds of thoughts to my awareness. Cool. Really cool.

So…Psalm 90:13 says:

Make us rejoice according to the days you humbled us, the years we have seen evil.

That brings to mind another verse I have always liked…..

Joel 2:25

And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you.

So, just to be clear what we are talking about here, I looked up all these critters on Google Images.  Not a pretty sight....

                                       The Cankerworm

fallcankwrmlarva

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Caterpillar

caterpillar_prolegs

                                              The Palmerworm

palmerworm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before I say anything else...let me just say...

"Ewwwwww...ick....yuk....Nasty!!!"

I can see all three of these things squished on a sidewalk.

I am sure one could find all kinds of spiritual implications in the habits and life cycle of these worms. Someday, I may research it further...but for now, just seeing them in living color is enough to make me realize I don't want them munching on my new petunias.

And scripture makes it quite clear that between the three of them, they could cause a lot of damage.  Another version of scripture refers to them as  

The creeping locust, the stripping locust and the gnawing locust.

Actually Joel 1:4 describes it this way:

What the cutting locust left, the swarming locust has eaten. What the swarming locust left, the hopping locust has eaten, and what the hopping locust left, the destroying locust has eaten.

So, it seems there is all kinds of devastation left behind afterwards....yet the promise is there.  I will restore to you the years the locust hath eaten....

 

 

No comments: