Friday, May 29, 2009

Quotes by Rumi (translated by Shahram Shiva

There was a post on The Now2 in which someone mentioned Scott Morrison and a web site called open mind open heart. Scott Morrison passed away, although I don't know the circumstances. The website is from yesteryear and is no longer online. I tried to find out more info on google...but didn't have much luck.  I did end up at a site called All Spirits. From there, I ended up at a web site with some of Rumi's poems and quotes translated by Shiva.  Following are some of the quotes...and maybe a comment or two from the "peanut gallery" (aka...me :)

Love came,
and became like blood in my body.
It rushed through my veins and
encircled my heart.
Everywhere I looked,
I saw one thing.
Love's name written
on my limbs,
on my left palm,
on my forehead,
on the back of my neck,
on my right big toe…
Oh, my friend,
all that you see of me
is just a shell,
and the rest belongs to love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This reminds me of another quote I came upon on yet another cool website called Gaia...(which was the subject of an "interesting web site" post) This following quote is by a man who goes by the name of Mr. Prophet.  He said:

Our physical bodies, though powerful are merely facades. They are clothing for our spirit.

clip_image001

Mr. Prophet

There is that spiritual being on a human journey thought again. We are not merely  human beings on a spiritual journey.  Eckhart talks about feeling the inner body.  The energy field/life force/spirit of God/ light that lights every man who comes into the world.  The in him we live and move and have our being.  The thought seems to be that the body is a shell, a tent, an earthen vessel, a glove.  It is hard to comprehend we are not our bodies...we've grown so used to living in them.  They seem to be the container that keeps it all together.  Like a pitcher that holds water.  Take away the pitcher, what becomes of the water?  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By day I praised you
and never knew it.
By night I stayed with you
and never knew it.
I always thought that
I was me--but no,
I was you
and never knew it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now this is where it gets confusing to me.  I kind of get it yet at the same time, I don't..

Is this true? 

I was you and never knew it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night
I lost my grip on reality
and welcomed insanity.
Love
saw me and said,
I showed up.
Wipe your tears
and be silent.

I said, O Love
I am frightened,
but it's not you.
Love said to me,
there is nothing that is not me.
be silent.

I will whisper secrets in your ear
just nod yes
and be silent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will whisper secrets in your ear?  The still small voice.  Be still and know that I am God.  Just another way of saying that. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Didn't I tell you
not to go to that place?
It is me, who is your intimate friend.
In this imaginary plain of non-existence,
I am your spring of eternal life.
Even if you lose yourself in wrath
for a hundred thousand years,
at the end you will discover,
it is me, who is the culmination of your dreams.


Didn't I tell you
not to be satisfied with the veil of this world?
I am the master illusionist,
it is me, who is the welcoming banner at the gate of your contentment.


Didn't I tell you?
I am an ocean, you are a fish;
do not go to the dry land,
it is me, who is your comforting body of water.


Didn't I tell you
not to fall in this trap like a blind bird?
I am your wings, I am the strength in your wings,
I am the wind keeping you in flight.


Didn't I tell you
that they will kidnap you from the path?
They will steal your warmth,
and take your devotion away.
I am your fire, I am your heartbeat,
I am the life in your breath.


Didn't I tell you?
They will accuse you of all the wrongdoings,
they will call you ugly names,
they will make you forget
it is me, who is the source of your happiness.


Didn't I tell you?
Wonder not, how your life will turn out,
how you will ever get your world in order,
it is me, who is your omnipresent creator.
If your are a guiding torch of the heart,
know the path to that house.
If you are a person of God, know this,
It is me, who is the chief of the village of your life.

This reminds me of people...Christians and otherwise....who trade in their relationship with the spirit in order to fit into a man made organization like the church.  It doesn't have to be a traditional kind of thing either.  Not too long ago, I posted on the controversy that was ignited when Carlton Pearson was named senior minister of a New Thought mega church in Chicago.  Fundies of a different flavor...but fundies none the less. 

So there you have it...the latest musings from the peanut gallery....

No comments: