Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Invisible Work?

Because no one could ever praise me enough,
because I don't mean these poems only
but the unseen
unbelievable effort it takes to live
the life that goes on between them,
I think all the time about invisible work.

I think it was Debra who posted this to EU.  It is part of a Mother's Day poem and goes on to celebrate the "invisible work" of mothers...and earthworms...bees....white owls and poets...

Some of it "waxes a bit poetic" and my mind can't quite grasp the concepts she is trying to get across. Some of it...the snippet above...I can relate to. It rings all too true....

Anyone with a passion for something can well understand the unbelievable effort it takes to live the life that goes on between the passion...between being able to do that which one is passionate about..and that, which some days bores one to tears. 

"Real work"....the daily grind...and while for me the real work emulates the passion there is no heart there, no interest, no wonder. I sit in front of a computer most of the day finding the right words to sum up the discussion at the latest meeting where I was minute taker. Long, meticulous reports. And then there is the data entry.  Work of the devil for sure.  Mind numbing, repetitive, over and over again words that I don't give a crap about. All the watching the clock...counting the hours until I can leave that computer screen....and get to this one. 

But sometimes the mundane takes its toll...and after toying with words all day long (and charts and power point presentations..and excel spreadsheets...and the never ending data entry) my mind slows down to a crawl... sort of like the proverbial midwinter molasses. My friend daniel mentioned the cement mixer churning away in his head..and I can relate to that....at 5 am with more thoughts and ideas and "storylines" than I can keep track of.  But most days by 5 pm it has slowed way down to a weak vibration.  Today is one of those days.  Barely a hum. 

Eckhart says that there are 3 sane solutions to the "no thanks, I'de rather not" unpleasantries of life both major and minor.  Change it, totally accept it (and make peace with it)...or walk away. (paraphrased)

Sometimes easier said than done......

No comments: