Wednesday, May 6, 2009

More Birth Story Digressions.....

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh

I just rehappened upon this quote….saved in a file on my desktop…along with other snippets, thoughts and blog post stubs. Although this post is a bit of a digression from the current “series” about the antichrist/christ in you…I’ve been merrily digressing all along. That seems to be a given here on Mercy Not Sacrifice. I am always digressing. Sort of my trademark? I think I might digress more often than I stay on topic!!!

But anyway…I am digressing in the midst of digressing. Uh-oh. So…back to the quote. Isn’t that absolutely true? The moment Matthew was born…boom…there I was…a mom. And a leery one at that. I was struck (dumbfounded) by the responsibility. The sheer “now what the hell do I do with him” fears. But what struck me the most was the absolute magnitude of the love I felt for him. I never realized a love like that existed. I was amazed. I am still amazed sometimes by the depth and breadth of a mother’s love. A love that is born right along with her child.

I know God is most often referred to as “Father.” I refer to him as Father because, for me, it just feels right to think of Him as Father. I know God is not one sex or the other….but rather both. So in addition to “Heavenly Father” he is also “Sacred Mother.” I know that the love I have for my kids comes from God. It is a reflection, albeit a dim one, of God’s love for His (Her?) children. Could it be a part of the born again process (for women anyway)…this mother birth, this absolutely new person that never existed before?

I found some quotes about motherhood….

Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.  William Makepeace Thackeray

"The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness." ~ Honore' de Balzac

Making a decision to have a child--it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Elizabeth Stone

Oh, yeah’, isn’t THAT the truth. No matter how old or big they get, they never stop being your “baby.”

To all the mothers who read here now and then….I wish you a very meaningful, joyous Mother’s Day this coming Sunday.

No comments: